How to Maintain Vinyl Banners When Not in Use
How do you maintain vinyl banners when they aren’t being used? Favored for durability and easy customization, vinyl is a popular choice for indoor and outdoor banners. When cared for properly, vinyl banners can last up to a decade or longer, so they are an excellent investment.
To get the best results from your vinyl banners, it’s essential to know the ins and outs of storage, cleaning, and mounting. Here are our top tips on how to maintain your vinyl banners, so they stay in top condition for years to come.
What is a Vinyl Banner, and How Should I Maintain Vinyl Banners?
Vinyl is a robust plastic material made to be waterproof and rip-resistant for continued outdoor use. Vinyl banners are fashioned from sturdy cloth-like material that’s flexible while still holding its shape while on display. Vinyl banners are excellent for advertising local events, festivals, and businesses. Banners are typically secured into place with metal grommets at the corners and edges of the banner.
For the best results, purchase high-quality banners that are built to withstand continued use and inclement weather. Outdoor banners can be digitally printed using UV-resistant inks to prevent fading and discoloration after continued sun exposure.
How Do I Clean and Maintain My Vinyl Banners?
Cleaning is one of the best ways to keep vinyl banners looking vibrant and well cared for.
- Wipe down the surface of the banner with a soft cloth. Try a damp cotton rag or a microfiber cleaning cloth that won’t damage the banner’s surface.
- Use mild, non-scented soapy water for cleaning.
- Ensure the banner is completely dry before storing.
- Use abrasive cleaning tools like sponges or paper towels.
- Use harsh chemicals, bleaches, or disinfectants for cleaning. Harsh chemicals can damage printed banners by distorting images or causing colors to fade.
If banners aren’t cleaned and stored properly, they easily become cracked, faded, or damaged from moisture. With proper care, you can keep your banner in mint condition for years.
How Do I Store My Vinyl Banners?
Vinyl banners should be stored in a cool, dry location. Keep your banner away from direct sunlight to prevent fading, and away from potentially damaging agents like bleaches and detergents. Store your banner in a clean, airtight container to prevent damage.
Roll Your Banner
Banners shouldn’t be folded or crumpled while in storage. Folding a vinyl banner may cause creases or permanent cracking in the material. For the best results, store the banner lying flat and avoid wrinkles, creases, or folded edges.
If the dimensions of the banner or space won’t allow for flat storage, carefully roll the banner into a tube before storing. Don’t put a rubber band around the tube, as this may cause a permanent crease. For banners with raised lettering, ensure that the lettering is facing outward when you roll the banner to prevent the banner from sticking to itself. If you have a digitally printed banner, roll with the lettering facing inward to protect the print.
If your banner does become wrinkled while in storage, there are several tricks to smooth out creases and keep your sign looking good as new.
- If you have access to an outdoor area with plenty of sun, place the banner in the direct sunlight for up to 30 minutes. The heat from the sun will soften the vinyl and help smooth out wrinkles.
- If you don’t live in a sunny area, or are worried about your banner becoming faded, you can achieve the same results using a hairdryer. Aim the dryer at the banner and wipe with a damp cloth. The heat from the dryer will soften the material and the damp cloth will smooth lingering creases.
Finding the Perfect Banner from Bishop Image Group
Here at Bishop Image Group we are printers of the impossible. With over 20 years of experience in the printing business, we pride ourselves on our ability to tackle difficult jobs with creativity and dedication. Our team doesn’t shy away from a challenge, no matter how last minute, because customer satisfaction is our top priority. From vinyl banners, to decals, to informational signage, we print and install signs across the country for businesses of all sizes. Interested in transforming your signage? Contact Bishop Image Group to get started.